I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
Kids will love this printable penguin theme pre-primer sight words write the room activity! It’s perfect for a winter literacy center in kindergarten and even first grade.
You might be wondering what a write the room activity is. Basically, different cards are placed all around the classroom – or maybe a living room, for example, if you’re homeschooling. These cards can have words, numbers or really anything that you want your students to practice writing printed on them.
Your little ones will walk around the room and try to find these cards. Once they do, they will record the answer on their sheet. So, as you can tell, it’s a game that can be differentiated easily.
Other Printable Winter Centers and Worksheets
1) 10 Snow Themed Literacy and Math Centers – printable easy prep activities for preschool or kindergarten
2) Snowball Sorting – sort out uppercase from lowercase or letter from numbers.
3) Winter Number Puzzle Strips – different designs to practice number sequencing
4) Penguin Letter Matching – one of the favorites from my blog for learning to match lowercase and uppercase letters.
Setting Up Your Sight Words Write The Room
Playing This Winter Literacy Center
To play this game, place or hide the cards you prepared around the room. Send your kids on a treasure hunt to find them and once they do, they will write out what’s on the card unto the provided recording sheet.
I have divided the 40 Dolch pre-primer sight words into 4 sets of 10 words each so you can play this game many times and differentiate it as you need.
If you don’t want to do a full write the room activity, you could adapt it into a file folder handwriting activity or an individual literacy center as well. However you decide to use these, your kids will love the adorable penguin theme!
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Snow Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on letters, phonics, numbers and more!
1) Snowflake Pick and Cover Letters – Kids will pick letter cards and match them with the letters on the playing mat until all letters have been identified.
2) Snowflake Sight Words Bingo – 8 different bingo cards provided for use in small groups. 40 Pre-primer sight words are included.
3) Snowball Letters and Numbers Sorting – Sort the snowballs according to upper and lowercase or letters vs numbers.
4) Snowflake Vowel Sound Sorting – Print out the sorting mat and place the picture cards in the correct columns based on their vowel sounds.
5) Snowflake Write the Room Alphabet – Hunt around the room for a letter card and match the pictures on the recording sheet to complete the game.
6) Snowman Count and Write Numbers – Kids will practice writing number words 1-10. There are 2 versions included – with numbers and with ten frames.
7) Snowflake Counting Clip Cards – Develop fine motor skills and math skills in this 1-20 counting game.
8) Winter Numbers Memory Match – Flip 2 cards over at a time to find matching number pairs until all the numbers have been matched up.
9) Snowman Ten Frame Mats – Adorable counting mats with ten frames for one to one correspondence and counting practice. You can use this with cotton wool ‘snow’, pompoms, buttons, etc.
10) Snowflake Visual Discrimination Cards- Find the 2 matching snowflakes from a group of 6. There are 16 cards provided.
Fun Books For Winter:
Other Winter Printables You’ll Love: