I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
These adorable snowman ten frame mats will help your student learn all the different ways to make the number 10. These printable mats are great for teaching a variety of early math skills including number recognition, counting, one to one correspondence, writing numbers, subitizing and basic addition. I love games where my child is learning many things at once and you’ll love this new winter math center too!
Other Printable Winter Centers and Worksheets
Setting Up Your Winter Math Center
To set up your printable ten frame mats, you’ll need to print off the pages, provide a writing tool & some counting tokens. Keeping with the snowman theme, you could use cotton balls, blue beads or black buttons in a little bowl.
If you’re using this in small groups, I suggest laminating the mats. This will also allow you to reuse it since it’s more durable. The writing tool will need to be a dry-erase marker if the mats are laminated.
Counting with Snowman Ten Frames
A ten frame is basically a rectangle divided into 10 equal squares. Each square represents one. It’s a fabulous tool for helping young children visualise quantities and learn to count — far more important than just being able to memorize the numbers in order!
To use these mats, your student will place one counting token on each square that has a snowflake in it. This represents the top number of the addition equation and helps them understand one to one correspondence.
They will then need to count the number of empty squares left in the ten frame. This will become the second bottom number in the sum. Your student will need to write that numeral in the space provided to make the equation to 10 correct.
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Snow Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on letters, phonics, numbers and more!
1) Snowflake Pick and Cover Letters – Kids will pick letter cards and match them with the letters on the playing mat until all letters have been identified.
2) Snowflake Sight Words Bingo – 8 different bingo cards provided for use in small groups. 40 Pre-primer sight words are included.
3) Snowball Letters and Numbers Sorting – Sort the snowballs according to upper and lowercase or letters vs numbers.
4) Snowflake Vowel Sound Sorting – Print out the sorting mat and place the picture cards in the correct columns based on their vowel sounds.
5) Snowflake Write the Room Alphabet – Hunt around the room for a letter card and match the pictures on the recording sheet to complete the game.
6) Snowman Count and Write Numbers – Kids will practice writing number words 1-10. There are 2 versions included – with numbers and with ten frames.
7) Snowflake Counting Clip Cards – Develop fine motor skills and math skills in this 1-20 counting game.
8) Winter Numbers Memory Match – Flip 2 cards over at a time to find matching number pairs until all the numbers have been matched up.
9) Snowman Ten Frame Mats – Adorable counting mats with ten frames for one to one correspondence and counting practice. You can use this with cotton wool ‘snow’, pompoms, buttons, etc.
10) Snowflake Visual Discrimination Cards- Find the 2 matching snowflakes from a group of 6. There are 16 cards provided.
Other Winter Printables You’ll Love: