I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
Looking for a new Halloween literacy activity? This spin and cover letter recognition game will help preschoolers practice letter identification for capital letters a to Z. Your students will be howling like a werewolf with excitement as they race to find all the letters on their mat! This free printable can be used as an individual literacy station in the classroom or as a small group activity. Just bring out your Halloween-themed tokens, a spinner and you’re ready to have some fun!
Setup Your Letter Recognition Game
For this activity you will need:
Plastic spinner or paperclip + pencil combination
If you don’t have the materials needed, don’t sweat! You can get it delivered to your doorstep really quickly with Amazon Prime. You can get a 30-day free trial here.
Spin and Cover Halloween Literacy Activity
Capital letters A to Z are divided into 5 playing mats so that in each letter identification mat, your child is learning letter recognition for 5-6 different letters at the same time.
Print out the spin and cover letter mat you want to use. I would suggest laminating it for durability.
Provide either a plastic spinner or a paperclip + pencil combination that can be used as a spinner as well.
Each time your child spins the wheel, they will need to find the uppercase letter on the mat and cover it with a token. This token can be anything at all – Halloween-themed mini erasers, candy corn, plastic bottle covers, coins, pompoms, etc.
The game continues until all the letters have been covered. This simple Halloween literacy activity will surely become one of your classroom favorites!
More Themed Centers Perfect for Halloween:
My Halloween Themed Centers is a variety pack of 10 games focused on early literacy, math, and fine motor skills.
These are the games included:
1) Witch Sight Word Spells – 40 pre-primer word cards provided with themed letter cards to form the sight words
2) Werewolf Spin and Cover Letters – alphabet divided into 5 different playing mats
3) Spider Web Sight Word Match – match the spider to its web to work on recognition of the pre-primer sight words
4) Trick or Treat Tracing – develop pre-writing fine motor skills with 15 different tracing patterns
5) Graveyard Alphabet Match – pair up the letter ghosts with their tombstones
6) Frankenstein Ten Frame Matching – big version and file folder version included
7) Candy Counting Mats to 10 – trick or treat themed counting mats that you can use with playdough or any counting manipulative
8) Count and Write to 10 – flashcards that can be used for counting the objects and then learning to write the number words
9) Measurement Cards – grab a ruler and record the lengths of 12 different creatures on the answer sheet provided
10) Halloween Treats Emotions Sorting Mats – 6 different sets of treats with 6 different emotions included
Other Halloween Printables You’ll Love:
1) Halloween Worksheet Pack – Lots of Halloween treats await your students in this fun-filled activity packet. 50 pages of literacy, math and fine motor practice inside!
2) Halloween Shadow Matching – Preschoolers need visual discrimination and matching skills in order to differentiate between the letters and numbers and to be able to classify objects. This Halloween shadow matching game develops these early literacy and math skills.
3) Werewolf Spin and Cover Letters – Learning to recognize letters is made fun and easy with this spin and cover game. Kids will be howling like a werewolf with excitement as they race to find all the letters on their mat.
4) Halloween Themed Centers –10 fun Halloween-themed literacy and math centers for preschool and kindergarten. No tricks, only treats, in this pack!
Educational Tools For Your Classroom: