I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
Work on letter recognition with your preschool students using this printable farm literacy center. You can use this fun farm alphabet game any time of the year in small groups or individually.
Setting Up This Farm Literacy Center
For this activity you will need:
Optional: laminator and tweezers
If you don’t have the materials needed, don’t sweat! You can get it delivered to your doorstep really quickly with Amazon Prime. You can get a 30-day free trial here.
Fun Letter Recognition Game
Print out the pages according to the size you want – don’t forget to adjust your printer settings! I suggest to print them out full size and laminate them.
Provide some red and yellow unifix cubes or another type of token if you don’t have these available. Your student will take one cube or token and place it on the designated letter while learning to recognize and sort between uppercase and lowercase.
To make the fine motor aspect more challenging, you could ask them to use tweezers to pick up the tokens. This game can easily be adapted for use as an independent literacy center or for small groups.
Want a digital version of this letter recognition game? Grab the Boom cards version here.
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Farm Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on letters, phonics, numbers and more!
1) Farm Shape Mats – Use pompoms, playdough balls, or other manipulatives to form various shapes.
2) Farm Number Puzzle Strips – includes puzzle for 1-10, 11-20, skip counting 2s and 5s
3) On The Farm Themed Ten Frame Mats
4) Chicken Spin and Rainbow Write – Can be used with a plastic spinner or paperclip and pencil combination. If a number has been written already, use a different crayon/dry erase marker to write over it again making a rainbow number!
5) Feed the Chicken Count and Draw Cards – Print these out and get kids to draw the correct number of feed or use with manipulatives like corn kernels
6) Eggs Alphabet Order Strips – Each strip has a set of 5 letters. Kids will determine if the letters are in the correct order then choose the thumbs up or down.
7) Cow Alphabet Matching – upper and lowercase letter cards that can be used on their own, in a sensory tub, or in an alphabet hunt around the room.
8) Lettuce Letters Pick and Cover – ‘harvest’ a lettuce card, find it on the playing mat, and cover. Repeat until all lettuce letters have been harvested.
9) Sybil the Sheep Syllable Clip Cards – Kids will determine if the object shown has 1,2 or 3 syllables and use fine motor skills to clip the correct answer with a wooden peg or clothespin.
10) Farm Playdough Letter Mats – 2 versions included for uppercase letters. You can also use other things to fill in the letter space instead of playdough of course.
Other Animal Printables You’ll Love:
1) Zoo Animal Sight Words Bingo – Use this as a small group literacy center in your classroom to learn pre-primer Dolch sight words.
4) Count the Chickens – practice counting from 1 to 10 with these clip cards.
5) Bird Theme 3-Part Cards – learn different types of birds in this Montessori-style activity.
8) Unicorn Ten Frame Mats – make math a little more magical while teaching one-to-one correspondence, counting, and the use of ten frames.
9) Dog Bone Math Game – Count up the bones and solve the simple sums within 10.
Educational tools for your classroom:
** To download this free printable please enter your email address below. Afterwards, the form disappears to reveal a clickable link – “Click here to download this printable”. Save it to your desktop or Google Drive as you need.
You’ll also be added to my newsletter list, giving you access to the Subscriber Library which has more than 500+ pages of worksheets free! **