I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
There’s so much to love about Easter in the preschool classroom. Even if you’re a non-secular school, your students will be excited for the Easter bunny and the candies that they bring. It also marks the beginning of the growing season and your students will be thinking and talking about the vegetables and flowers that they’re planting at home. Both of these make for great themes for your academic centers, and this bunny carrot match up game is a great way to talk about counting and colors.
Teaching Strategies For Counting
Counting a group of objects accurately is one of the key skills that you need to help your students to master before they enter grade school. While the key is repetition, as with any essential preschool skills, you can help them by finding different ways for their brains to make the connections. This Easter color matching activity for preschool has a cute bunny and carrot counting puzzle which acts as a self correcting math center as the bunny piece of the puzzle will only match to the correct number of carrots. This strategy of presenting students with both the question and the answer is a great tool for teaching math as it reduces anxiety over getting the correct answer and removes any guesswork.
Setup Your Bunny and Carrot Counting Puzzle
For this activity you will need:
Optional: print on cardstock and laminate to make them durable and reusable – especially recommended if you’re prepping this for many little hands in a classroom setting!
Below are the supplies I use personally at home. After doing so many printable activities, I’ve found that it’s most helpful to always have these basic supplies on hand.
(*The links below are affiliate links. Thank you for supporting this blog!)
Teaching With Bunny Carrot Match Up
This Easter color matching activity for preschool comes with two fun activities. The first is a bunny and carrot counting puzzle where students have to count the carrots and match it to the bunny with the correct number on its belly. The second is a bunny carrot match up activity where students have to match the color of carrots to the correct bunny. Some possible teaching strategies for this bunny carrot match up activity are:
Make a prediction – you can help students take a step towards additive subitizing (where they instantly recognize the correct number of objects without the need to count) by having them look at one of the carrot cards and predict how many there are by selecting the appropriate bunny card. The very nature of the bunny and carrot counting puzzle means that they will quickly be able to check if their answer is right or not.
Make it real life – while it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to bring a real life bunny into your classroom, you can definitely buy a few bags of baby carrots for your students to collect and count. You could even make your own healthy version of an Easter hunt by turning it into a real life bunny and carrot counting activity.
Make their own puzzles – one final way to use this Easter color matching activity for preschool is to have students make their own version. It could be that they choose a bunny carrot match up theme, or they could pick chocolate eggs and baskets, or flowers and garden beds. No matter what theme they pick, they can use different cutting patterns to make their Easter puzzle a self-checking exercise for a friend to work on.
More Easter Themed Centers
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Easter Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on letters, phonics, numbers and more!
1) Easter Train Letter Strips – Fill in the next 2 letters in the alphabet. You could also use them for handwriting practice or for writing out the matching lowercase.
2) Easter Rhyming Clip Cards- 24 included
3) Easter Spin and Cover Letters – Alphabet is divided into 5 mats so this would be a great literacy center for small groups.
4) Easter Vowel Sorting – Kids will sort the eggs into the correct vowel baskets. 8 objects per vowel included.
5) Bunny Burrows Game – This game comes with a song poster and letter cards. You can use this to practice letter sounds, beginning sounds of objects, etc
6) Easter Ten Frame Mats – Use this with playdough to form the numbers + ‘eggs’ in the ten frame or you could also use real chocolate eggs for counting practice.
7) Easter Spin and Rainbow Write – Kids will spin the wheel and write the number it lands on. If it lands on the same number twice, they will use a different crayon/marker so that each number becomes a rainbow.
8) Easter Pick and Cover Numbers to 20 – Mats for 1-10, 11-20 and 1-20 are included together with the number cards. Print them out, cut into individual number cards and have your little ones learn number recognition.
9) Easter Color Clip Cards – Match the color of the Easter bunny’s egg and carrot.
10) Easter Bunny Math – 12 cards each provided for addition to 10 and subtraction from to 10 plus a recording sheet for their answers.
Other Free Easter Printables You’ll Love:
1) Easter Egg Tracing Lines – This simple preschool fine motor activity will help develop your students’ fine motor muscle strength and allow them to practice correct pencil grip.
2) Easter Bunny Sight Words – Kids will actively try to balance the egg on the spoon and fish it out of the ‘jail’. For each egg that escapes, they need to read a sight word then the egg will be safe.
3) Easter Printable Worksheets Pack – 50 pages of free Easter-themed printable worksheets for kids including a variety of literacy, math, and fine motor activities.
4) Easter Egg Patterns – A colorful Easter activity to teach the early math skill of recognizing patterns.
5) Count The Bunnies 1-10 – Kids will surely have a hop-py time counting up to 10 bunnies in a line.
6) Bunny Burrows Game – Really fun small group or circle time game that works on learning letter sounds.
7) Bunny Spin and Cover (Numbers 1-5) – This simple number recognition printable is great fun for preschoolers and just in time for Easter!
8) Bunny Carrot Match-Up – Your preschooler will love this numbers and colors matching activity with an Easter Bunny theme!
9) Bunny Addition to 10 – Your preschooler can practice doing some addition to 10 sums using the adorable bunny number slider that comes with the worksheet.
10) Easter Bunny Simple Sums Addition & Subtraction – This Easter Bunny math activity helps students solve basic sums by having a visual representation they can use to count, instead of just numbers.
Educational Tools For Your Classroom:
Browse My Most Popular Math Printables:
1) Parking Cars Tracing Lines – More than 10 different tracing line patterns to choose from, all of which help with pencil control.
2) Scarecrow Arrange By Size – 3 different scarecrow-themed image sets that they will arrange from smallest to biggest.
3) Bumblebee Addition Game – Solve the sum and help the bee land on the correct flower!
4) Farm Shapes Mats – Use playdough, pompoms, stickers etc to learn 2D shapes.
5) Popsicle Stick Number Formation – Kids will love forming the numbers 1 to 10 when ice cream and popsicles are involved!
8) Counting Colorful Bugs – This printable book will help kids count to 10 while also learning about color words.
9) Humpty Dumpty Numbers – In this printable game, your students will practice number recognition using 1 dice or simple addition when using 2 dice.
10) Build A Number Santa – Match the number to the correct number word, tally mark and domino to form a Santa Claus
** To download this free printable please enter your email address below. Afterwards, the form disappears to reveal a clickable link – “Click here to download this printable”. Save it to your desktop or Google Drive as you need.
You’ll also be added to my newsletter list, giving you access to the Subscriber Library which has more than 500+ pages of worksheets free! **