I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
This post has been co-written with Ben Wolfson, a full-time educator and assistant principal in the USA.
The advent of the Penguins of Madagascar onto our screens has made these cute and cuddly animals a surefire hit with kindergartners at any time of year. You’ll easily make them the centerpieces of your polar animals theme lesson plan and any winter literacy station that has penguins will be instantly engaging to the majority of your students. These kindergarten penguin theme CVC rhyming printable will have them practicing their short vowel and consonant sounds all season long.
The importance of rhyming as a tool for learning to read and write is so high that it is embedded in multiple grade levels of the Common Core standards. The reason for this call for explicit rhyming instruction is simple; being able to substitute different beginning consonant sounds helps students to master their short vowels as well as to extend their sight word vocabulary as they develop the understanding of sound patterns. Rhyming also helps them to write words, as once they’ve mastered their letter sounds they can begin to create new words just by substituting different end letters. This CVC rhyming printable helps students to begin this starting sound skill by providing three options to help students find the rhyming word.
Preparing This Penguin CVC Rhyming Printable
For this activity you will need:
If you don’t have the materials needed, don’t sweat! You can get it delivered to your doorstep really quickly with Amazon Prime. You can get a 30-day free trial here.
Getting this CVC rhyming printable ready is simple: just download, print the pages that you want to work on this week, and your students will be learning how to find the rhyming word in no time. Consider printing 4 or even 6 to a page so that each student can get their own set.
Extension Find The Rhyming Word Activities
It’s very easy to use as part of your polar animals theme lesson plan. Students look at the target picture and say the word out loud. They then have to choose which of the three smaller pictures rhyme with the main picture. They can mark their answer with a pencil or with a small wooden peg, and you can make it a self checking activity by putting a sticker on the correct picture on the flip side. As your students master this skill, extend their learning with one of these activities:
Make a list – instead of choosing from the list of three words, cover them up and ask students to make a list of all the possible words they can think of that would rhyme with the target picture. You can limit it to real words or let them explore to find all possible words, even if some of them are nonsense!
Write out the answer – you can make this into a writing winter literacy station by having students write out the three possible answers. This will help them develop their spelling skills as well as giving them practice with correct letter formation.
Sort by vowel sound – finally, you can have students practice listening to the middle vowel sounds of CVC words by giving them a set of these kindergarten penguin theme clip cards and ask them to group them by middle vowel sounds. They should be able to hear the commonalities as they then read each stack one after the other.
More Winter Themed Centers
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Snow Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on letters, phonics, numbers and more!
1) Snowflake Pick and Cover Letters – Kids will pick letter cards and match them with the letters on the playing mat until all letters have been identified.
2) Snowflake Sight Words Bingo – 8 different bingo cards provided for use in small groups. 40 Pre-primer sight words are included.
3) Snowball Letters and Numbers Sorting – Sort the snowballs according to upper and lowercase or letters vs numbers.
4) Snowflake Vowel Sound Sorting – Print out the sorting mat and place the picture cards in the correct columns based on their vowel sounds.
5) Snowflake Write the Room Alphabet – Hunt around the room for a letter card and match the pictures on the recording sheet to complete the game.
6) Snowman Count and Write Numbers – Kids will practice writing number words 1-10. There are 2 versions included – with numbers and with ten frames.
7) Snowflake Counting Clip Cards – Develop fine motor skills and math skills in this 1-20 counting game.
8) Winter Numbers Memory Match – Flip 2 cards over at a time to find matching number pairs until all the numbers have been matched up.
9) Snowman Ten Frame Mats – Adorable counting mats with ten frames for one to one correspondence and counting practice. You can use this with cotton wool ‘snow’, pompoms, buttons, etc.
10) Snowflake Visual Discrimination Cards- Find the 2 matching snowflakes from a group of 6. There are 16 cards provided.
Other Printables for Your Winter Lesson Plan:
1) Penguin Sight Words Write the Room – Kids will love this printable penguin theme pre-primer sight words write the room activity! It’s perfect for a winter literacy center in kindergarten and even first grade.
2) Penguin and Fish Letter Matching– Printable penguin and fish themed game to pair up upper and lowercase letters.
3) Counting to 20 with Ice Skates – Kindergarten and 1st-grade students will work on counting to 20 and one to one correspondence in this free ice skating activity. Use this as a fun winter math center in your classroom or as a hands-on printable twenty frame game for your homeschool.
4) Snowman Ten Frame Mats – Students in preschool to 1st grade will practice counting, making 10, one to one correspondence, subitizing and writing numbers with these snowman ten frame mats. Use this printable as a fun winter math center in your classroom or as a hands-on addition activity for your homeschooling kids.
5) Winter Printable Worksheets Pack – Your kids will love this 50-page winter packet full of fun activities to help them practice literacy, math and fine motor skills. Preschool and kindergarten students will cut, color, count and much more. This activity pack is perfect for indoor leaning time during the cold winter months.
6) Winter Freeze Number Puzzle Strips – 2 printable winter theme puzzles to practice number order from 1 to 20.
7) Snowball Sorting – Sort out numbers from letters or uppercase letters from lowercase letters in this winter-themed activity.
Educational Tools For Your Classroom:
** To download this free printable please enter your email address below. Afterwards, the form disappears to reveal a clickable link – “Click here to download this printable”. Save it to your desktop or Google Drive as you need.
You’ll also be added to my newsletter list, giving you access to the Subscriber Library which has more than 500+ pages of worksheets free! **