I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
This post has been co-written with Ben Wolfson, a full-time educator and assistant principal in the USA.
This cute frog theme printable number puzzle will have your kindergarten students learning numbers 1 to 10 quicker than a frog can jump!
Teaching Number Words 1 – 10
Most kindergarten students should come into your classroom knowing the number words 1 – 10 by rote, and it’s one of your biggest tasks to help them understand what these words actually mean. This means that they will need plenty of repeated practice linking each number to the correct number of objects as well as the digit and word form. This frog theme kindergarten math station provides students with three different modalities for each number. Firstly, they need to individually count the frogs, then match that verbal number to the written form and it’s digit. The fact that it makes a complete jigsaw helps them to check their own work.
Preparing Frog Theme Printable Number Puzzle
For this activity you will need:
If you don’t have the materials needed, don’t sweat! You can get it delivered to your doorstep really quickly with Amazon Prime. You can get a 30-day free trial here.
You should be able to get this kindergarten math station ready in a matter of minutes. Just download, print all the pages and cut each puzzle up. For longer use, you may want to laminate each piece so that students can come back to it again and again.
Extension Work For Learning Numbers 1 to 10
This printable number puzzle is a great grab and go kindergarten math station. Your students just need to match each frog picture to the correct word and digit. You can make it easier by using different cutting patterns on each jigsaw so that the activity self-corrects as they complete it. As your students build mastery, you can extend their learning with some of these activities:
Place the frog – for this activity, you will need either small frog eraser caps, or cut out pictures of frogs. Students turn over the digit form or word form of each number, and have to place the correct number of frogs onto a log (either a line on a page, a popsicle stick or even a real stick from outside).
Order the frogs – While students will be able to rote count to 10 fairly quickly, they need to see how the counting words refer to sequentially bigger numbers. You can use this frog theme set to help by giving them all ten frog pictures and asking them to put the pictures in size order from least to greatest.
One more, one less – another key skill for kindergarten students to master in their early math journey is being able to compare numbers. You can start by having them compare two random frog pictures and asking which one has more frogs. Then make it harder by giving them one picture and asking them what is one more and one less than the number shown. Students will have fully mastered this skill when they can do with the number words or just the digits.
More Preschool Math and Literacy Activities:
Need more help with your lesson planning? This bundle of literacy and math centers for preschool and kindergarten currently includes 16 different themed packs – each pack comes with 5 literacy and 5 math centers. You’ll save a ton of time and so much money!
Other Frog Printables You’ll Love:
1) Frog Beginning R Blends – Are you teaching beginning R blends? Print out this free frog-themed activity to practice some of the sounds in a fun way with your kindergarten and first-grade students.
2) Frog Lowercase Tracing – Whether you’re prepping for a preschool frog theme week or looking for a kindergarten handwriting practice tool to include in your spring literacy centers, this free frog lowercase tracing printable game will be perfect for it!
3) Count The Frogs 1-10 – Practice math while working on fine motor strength as your child counts how many frogs are by the pond.
4) Frog Number Hop Game – A frog-themed game where kids will add and subtract while racing to the pond.
5) Frogs On A Lilypad Counting Mats – Count to 10 with these beautifully designed mats perfect for spring-themed learning.
6) Frog Life Cycle – This worksheet packet contains 3 activities about the frog’s life cycle.
7) Freddy Frog Spring Color By Number – This frog-themed printable will get your preschooler excited for spring!
Educational Tools For Your Classroom:
Browse My Most Popular Math Printables:
1) Parking Cars Tracing Lines – More than 10 different tracing line patterns to choose from, all of which help with pencil control.
2) Scarecrow Arrange By Size – 3 different scarecrow-themed image sets that they will arrange from smallest to biggest.
3) Bumblebee Addition Game – Solve the sum and help the bee land on the correct flower!
4) Farm Shapes Mats – Use playdough, pompoms, stickers etc to learn 2D shapes.
5) Popsicle Stick Number Formation – Kids will love forming the numbers 1 to 10 when ice cream and popsicles are involved!
8) Counting Colorful Bugs – This printable book will help kids count to 10 while also learning about color words.
9) Humpty Dumpty Numbers – In this printable game, your students will practice number recognition using 1 dice or simple addition when using 2 dice.
10) Build A Number Santa – Match the number to the correct number word, tally mark and domino to form a Santa Claus
** To download this free printable please enter your email address below. Afterwards, the form disappears to reveal a clickable link – “Click here to download this printable”. Save it to your desktop or Google Drive as you need.
You’ll also be added to my newsletter list, giving you access to the Subscriber Library which has more than 500+ pages of worksheets free! **