I may earn money from companies mentioned in this post at no cost to you. Thank you!
Help get the animals back to the zoo in this animal alphabet printable activity! Alphabet mazes are a great way to practice letter recognition. These zoo preschool worksheets can be used any time of the year. There is one follow the letter maze included for each letter (26 zoo printables in total).
What You Need For These Follow the Letter Mazes
* Paper and printer
* crayons/color pencils – whichever you want to use to mark out the path
* optional: laminator to make the game reusable
* optional: dry erase markers if laminating
(*The links below are affiliate links. Thank you for supporting this blog!)
Using Your Zoo Preschool Worksheets
This is a print and play activity that you can have your child do all in one sitting or spread them out over 26 days or weeks, depending on what you’re working on right now and the age of your child.
Mr. R is able to recognize all the letters already so he raced through these in one sitting. He also excitedly shared with me some interesting facts that he could recall from his trip to the zoo and from his animals book.
Extend These Zoo Printables
There are a couple of ways you can use these animal alphabet printables.
You could ask your child to sound out the letters as they make their way through the alphabet maze. This will help them develop their reading skills.
Another way to change up these zoo preschool worksheets is to ask your child to count how many “letter steps” the animal needs to get back to the zoo. This way they’re working on both letters and numbers at the same time.
Like this? Then you’ll love my 10 Zoo Themed Literacy and Math Centers. These easy-prep games will get your students working on math, literacy and fine motor skills.
1) Feed the Giraffe Counting Mat to 20 – Pick a number card and feed the giraffe that any leaves. Use real leaves, playdough pretend leaves, or green pom poms.
2) How Many Animals Write the Room – Students will go around the classroom visiting the “zoo”. When they spot the animals, they will need to count how many there are and write down the number from 1-10 on the recording sheet provided.
3) Zoo Animal Number Puzzle Strips – 5 different types included (1-10, 11-20, skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s).
4) Arrange by Size – Each animal has 4 different sizes for them to arrange from smallest to biggest or biggest to smallest.
5) Shadow Matching Cards – Look at the animal shown and choose from 3 given shadow options.
6) Zoo Animal Alphabet Strips – Work on handwriting and animal vocabulary at the same time. Each lined strip shows the correct capital letter formation plus an animal that starts with that letter.
7) Syllable Count – Students will look at the labeled animal shown and clap out how many syllables are in its name. Use a paperclip, clothespin or wooden peg to mark the answer.
8) Hippo Alphabet Find and Cover – This activity works on letter recognition for both uppercase and lowercase letters.
9) Animal Alphabetical Order – A-Z animal cards are placed inside a brown paper bag or box “cage”. Students will need to pick out 3 cards randomly and arrange them in alphabetical order on the mat.
10) Short Vowel Sloth – Fill in the missing vowel in the CVC words.
Educational Tools For Your Classroom:
Other Animal Printables You’ll Love:
1) Zoo Animal Sight Words Bingo – Use this as a small group literacy center in your classroom to learn pre-primer Dolch sight words.
4) Count the Chickens – practice counting from 1 to 10 with these clip cards.
5) Bird Theme 3-Part Cards – learn different types of birds in this Montessori-style activity.
8) Unicorn Ten Frame Mats – make math a little more magical while teaching one-to-one correspondence, counting, and the use of ten frames.
9) Dog Bone Math Game – Count up the bones and solve the simple sums within 10.
** To download, please enter your email address below. Afterwards, the form disappears to reveal a clickable link – “Click here to download this printable”. Save it to your desktop or Google Drive as you need. You’ll also be added to my newsletter list. **